We’re pulling out all the stops. We’ve been working for almost four years to get a vote in the Congress. And this is our chance. The House Republican leadership has agreed to allow a floor vote on The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, H.R. 810.
The Stem Cell Research Enhancemement Act, H.R. 810, is a bi-partisan bill sponsored by Representatives Mike Castle (R-DE) and Diana DeGette (D-CO) that will expand Federal research funding to the use of embryonic stem cells derived after August 9, 2001.
What does this bill do? Fundamentally, it removes the arbitrary date of August 9, 2001 from the current federal funding regulations. The bill would allow embryonic stem cell lines derived from unused, donated embryos from in-vitro fertilization that would otherwise be discarded to be eligible for federal funding. All of the current regulations and oversight put in place by President Bush would remain intact.
With both Democrats and Republicans working to support this bill, we already have 198 co-sponsors, and have additional verbal pledges from Members to vote for the bill. We need 218 votes to win.
We have every reason to think the floor vote will be extremely close. With your help, we can win this vote. Contact your Member of Congress and urge a YES vote on Castle-DeGette, H.R. 810.
Talking Points on H.R 810
** Note: When you call, ask for the health aide, and if the aide is not there, leave a detailed voicemail for him/her and request a return call. Try to avoid leaving a message with the front desk.
- As a constituent, I am calling to urge Representative _______ to vote YES on H.R. 810, the “Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005” introduced by Representatives Castle and DeGette
- This bill would expand the current federal policy on embryonic stem cell research to allow for federal funding on stem cell lines that meet clear ethical guidelines, which is needed for scientists to explore the full promise of this research.
- Explain your personal connection to this legislation.
- Embryonic stem cells have the potential to be used to treat and better understand a multitude of diseases and injuries.
- Strongly urge Representative ______ to vote YES H.R. 810 to move this important field of research forward.
Please call, write, or visit your representative and urge them to vote YES on H.R. 810, The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act – expanding the federal embryonic stem cell policy and offering hope to over 128 million Americans.